Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Week 13: A Better Way to Use PowerPoint

As much as I enjoy making a prezi presentation, it still cannot beat a traditional PowerPoint. Though the PowerPoint presentation is abused and often used poorly in the classroom, it is the best and most efficient tool that can be used to teach a lesson if used properly. A prezi presentation is visually appealing ... so too can be a PowerPoint presentation. A prezi presentation is nonlinear... so too can be a PowerPoint presentation. A prezi presentation is also animated ... and so too can a PowerPoint presentation. There is truly nothing that a PowerPoint presentation cannot do in comparison to a prezi.

Whenever I make a PowerPoint presentation, it generally takes me hours to complete it because I thoroughly enjoy making my presentation as visually appealing as possible. The various PowerPoint presentations that I created for the last unit were designed to enhance the lesson in some shape or form rather than to be a monotonous bullet list of information that students would be required to write down. Due to this purpose, I think I spent more time creating my Power Points than writing my four lessons. Now that I have been introduced to even more functions of PowerPoint, I am truly excited to take my PowerPoint presentations to another level for unit two. With a topic like the American Revolution, it should be easy to find primary source backgrounds and sources to enhance the topic of the lessons. I am especially excited to use PowerPoint for my propaganda lesson. My only concern for teachers would be the time that it would take to create these visually powerful presentations. How can teachers find the time to make the most out of PowerPoint?

No comments:

Post a Comment